Extremely Deformable Structures
- Basile Audoly (Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France)
- 6 lectures on: Solutions for slender rods in extreme conditions. Extremely fast: self-similar coiling dynamics of a long circular spring; extremely soft: capillary deformation of a soft elastic rod immersed in a fluid; extremely entangled: a knot tied on an elastic rod; extremely brittle: fragmentation of beams; extremely squeezed: an elastic ring under pressure.
- Katia Bertoldi (University of Harvard, Cambridge, USA)
- 6 lectures on: Periodic structures, instabilities, waves propagation. How to model periodic structures and their non-linear behavior, basic examples and numerical analysis. Microscopic & macroscopic instabilities. Adaptive structural materials: exploiting instabilities to design morphable structures.
- Davide Bigoni (Università di Trento, Trento, Italy)
- 6 lectures on: New instability phenomena in elastic structures. Buckling under tensile load; effects of constraint’s curvature; decreasing stiffness increases critical load; configurational forces and instability; flutter and divergence instabilities as related to Coulomb friction.
- Alain Goriely (Oxford University, Oxford, Great Britain)
- 6 lectures on: Extremely deformable structures in bio-mechanics and growth. Anelasticity in large deformations. A general theory of morpho-elasticity. The role of anisotropy and dispersion in biological structures. Growth induced buckling in biological systems. The differential geometry of anelastic large deformations.
- Sébastien Neukirch (Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France)
- 6 lectures on: Bifurcations and path-following for nonlinear elastic rods and solids. Nonlinear equilibrium equations. Stability. Path-following: the shooting method, arc-length continuation, and implementation in Mathematica.
- Sergio Pellegrino (California Inst. of Technology, Pasadena, USA)
- 6 lectures on: Folding and deployment of thin-shell structures. Mechanics of tape springs. Homogenized ABD matrix. Failure criteria. Quasi-static folding. Dynamic deployment and self-latching. Design optimization techniques.