CISM-AIMETA Advanced School on "Dynamic Stability and Bifurcation in Nonconservative Mechanics"
- Davide Bigoni (Università di Trento, Trento, Italy)
- 6 lectures on: The experimental realization of follower forces and the evidence of flutter and divergence instability. How to experimentally attack the problem of the Ziegler paradox. Flutter and friction. Flutter in continuous media: the case of granular materials.
- Olivier Doaré (ENSTA-Paristech, Palaiseau Cedex, France)
- 6 lectures on: Coupled mode flutter of wings, flags and pipes. Local and global instabilities of slender structures in axial flow. Damping induced destabilization and negative energy waves in slender structures coupled to a flow. The piezoelectric flag: coupling between mechanical and electrical waves, electrical dissipation- and resonance-induced instabilities.
- Evan Hemingway
- 6 lectures on: Modeling nonconservative problems in the dynamics of rods, strings and chains. Applications ranging from classical problems in the dynamics of chains to soft-robot locomotion. Conservative and nonconservative forces and moments in rigid body dynamics. Applications ranging from brake squeal, locomotion, wave energy converters, and toys such as the rattleback and dynabee.
- Oleg Kirillov (Northumbria University, UK, Newcastle upon Tyne, Great Britain)
- 6 lectures on: Reversible- and Hamiltonian-Hopf bifurcation. Krein signature and modes and waves of positive and negative energy. Dissipation-induced instabilities and destabilization paradox. Influence of structure of forces on stability. Stability optimization and poles assignment. Overdamped systems and systems with indefinite damping.
- Andrei Metrikine (Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands)
- 6 lectures on: Should high-speed trains move faster than the waves in the ground? Wave dynamics of infinitely long structures under moving loads. Anomalous Doppler waves and instability of a vehicle on an infinitely long structure.
- Andy Ruina (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA)
- 6 lectures on: Some things in non-holonomic dynamics. Introduction to non-holonomic dynamics; Degrees of freedom and ‘integrability of constraints’. Relation to the ‘non-holonomic’ angular momentum constraint. Falling cat and related experiments. Simple examples of non-holonomic systems. Sleigh, skateboard, bicycle, ball, disk. How symmetry can prevent stability. Wings and sails as approximate non-holonomic constraints; Non-holonomic sailing vs lift and drag sailing; Non-holonomic airplane.