The International Centre for Mechanical Sciences announces with sorrow that Professor Gianpietro Del Piero passed away in Palmanova (Udine) on September 28, 2020.
Born in Udine (Italy) in 1940, Professor Del Piero graduated with honors in Civil Engineering at the University of Genoa in 1963. During his academic career he was:
• Research Fellow at the University of Pisa, June 1967 to October 1974;
• Assistant Professor of Variational Methods, University of Pisa, November 1974 to February 1976;
• Professor of Strength of Materials at the Istituto Universitario Statale di Architettura at Reggio Calabria, March 1976 to October 1979;
• Professor of Strength of Materials, University of Udine, November 1979 to October 1991;
• Professor of Strength of Materials, University of Ferrara, November 1991 to October 2010.
He was considered by the scientific community the leading exponent of the Italian tradition in continuum mechanics. He used advanced mathematical tools to refound Continuum Mechanics on solid bases, without loosing contact with applications. As a recognized leader of his scientific group he contributed to the advancement of science and the well-being of Italian academic institutions.
His lectures were rigorous, precise and demanding, asking the audience to reason step by step with him to follow his arguments. As such, following his lectures required a great intellectual effort rewarded by a deeper understanding of the continuum mechanics field.
For many years he has been a member of the Scientific Council of CISM, and he has organized three advanced courses that have led to published books in the CISM-Springer Series:
• G.DELPIERO-F.MACERI, Unilateral Problems in Structural Analysis -1, 1985;
• G.DELPIERO-F.MACERI, Unilateral Problems in Structural Analysis-2, 1987;
• G.DELPIERO-D.R.OWEN, Multiscale Modelling in Continuum Mechanics and Structured Deformations, 2004.
He also authored five CISM publications in Italian:
• G.DELPIERO, Il Consolidamento delle Costruzioni, 1983;
• G.DELPIERO, Il Calcolo Non Lineare delle Strutture in Cemento Armato, 1985;
• G.DELPIERO, Il Calcolo Automatico delle Strutture in Cemento Armato, 1986;
• G.DELPIERO, Manutenzione, Riparazione e Durabilitá delle Strutture in C.A, 1987.
To his daughters Isabella, Beatrice and Margherita and his son Giovanni, the deepest condolences from CISM.